Identity theft has been on the rise so I thought I would share some information to protect yourself from identity theft.
How to Spot Identity Theft
- Review your credit report regularly to spot suspicious account openings.
- Check banking transactions regularly. Report anything strange immediately.
- Recognize, and look into it, if youre not getting important pieces of mail (i.e. bills, bank statements).
- You are receiving calls from debt collectors about debts that aren't yours.
- You get a notice that your information was compromised at a place you do business with or have an account.
How to Protect Yourself
- HTTPS. Purchasing or putting your information into a website that does not have the prefix HTTPS means it is not secure. Watch out for sites that only have HTTP.
- Secure your mail. Do not leave any trace of information on credit card statements, utility bills, and the like. This is a strategy lots of thieves use to gather information from you. Shred anything that has your name and address...